Sunday, December 1, 2013

Make Your Own Turkey Stock

Still have that turkey carcass in the fridge?  Don't throw it out, use it to make your own turkey stock/broth.  It takes time, but it isn't that hard and tastes delicious!

Step 1:  Remove all the meat (hint:  cooked turkey meat can be frozen and used for recipes later on).  

Step 2.  Put the carcass in a large stock pot (mine is 10 quarts) along with any vegetables and spices you want for flavoring.  My stock has carrots, celery, smashed garlic cloves, an onion, about 10 pepper corns, an apple, and a bunch of parsley.  I usually just go through the fridge and put in whatever I happen to have in the crisper that needs to be used up. 

Step 3.  Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for at least 2 hours.  Some people simmer their stock it all day.  Don't be concerned if the lid doesn't fit at first.  As the carcass cooks, it will break apart and the lid will fit.

Step 4.  Add sea salt to taste.  I usually do a tablespoon at a time.  Remember, you can add more, but you can't take it out.

Step 5. Using a large bowl and a mesh strainer, strain the broth, removing the bones, veggies, and meat.  Some people skim the fat off once the stock has cooled.  I wouldn't recommend this.  You might be removing fat, but you're also removing FLAVOR.   

Step 6.  Use your turkey stock right away and save the rest for another use.  You can put the broth in plastic containers or plastic freezer bags and freeze it for later.  I like use plastic pitchers because I know exactly how many cups is in each one without having to measure.

Note 1:  You can use this same method for chicken stock, although you will use a much smaller pan.  I usually use a 2 quart pot when making chicken stock.  
 Note 2:  In my travels to Ghana in 2011, I had a cooking lesson from a neighbor in the rural village where I was staying.  I made the stock beforehand and the neighbor insisted on inspecting my stock and knowing how I made it.  I explained what I did, which is pretty much exactly how I made it here, and she approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment