Sunday, August 11, 2013

Nana's Rhubarb Sauce

I'll never forget the first time I tried this recipe in the summer of 1987.  I was visiting my grandparents and great-grandparents in Kansas with my dad and brother.  It was Sunday morning and I couldn't figure out why I had to wait so long for breakfast because I had never heard of 'Sunday brunch' (I was 8 years old).  Finally, around 10 am, we sat down and had a huge brunch.  The only thing I remember from the meal is Nana's (my great-grandma) rhubarb sauce on homemade biscuits.  When we got home, I begged my mom to get the recipe and Nana was nice enough to share it!  This recipe is easy to cut in half or double and uneaten portions of rhubarb sauce can be put in the freezer.

4 cups rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1/4 inch water

 (optional) few drops red food coloring

Put the water in the bottom of a medium sauce pan, then add the rhubarb and sugar.  Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb cooks down into the consistency of a sauce.  If desired, add red food coloring.

Note:  I do not add artificial dyes to my food due to health concerns.  This means that the color won't be as pretty, but it will be safer for your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment